It is really important that you register to vote so you can have your say in how the country is run. If you are at all unsure if you are registered there are two ways you can check:
- If you live in the Highland Council area telephone the Highland Electoral Registration office on 0800 393 783
- If you live outwith the Highlands you can find your local Electoral Registration Office by entering your Post Code at this website
If you know that you aren't on the Electoral Register, or want to change some of your existing details, you can do it online at:
There are three deadlines to consider for the General Election on June 8th, 2017:
- The deadline for voter registration is 23:59 on Monday, 22nd May 2017.
- Deadline for applying for a postal vote is 17:00 on Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017.
- Deadline for applying for a proxy vote is 17:00 on Wednesday, May 31st, 2017.
IMPORTANT: unlike with the Scottish Parliamentary election, you need to be 18 years old or older on June 8th, 2017 and be a British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen. EU citizens aren't able to vote in UK General Elections.